New to This? Here’s a List of Essential Greenhouse Equipment
1. Gardening Pots or Trays. Garden pots come in clay, plastic, or ceramic varieties, and a wide variety of colors, shapes, and sizes. These containers are necessary for housing your fledgling greenhouse plants.
2. Potting Soil. Potting soil is another essential element in the greenhouse. Many gardeners choose to purchase potting soil, but mix it with their own compost and sterilized backyard soil to create the perfect potting mix. As a beginner, you may wish to purchase a bag of basic potting soil to start and venture into soil mixtures as you grow in experience and knowledge.
3. Plants or Seeds. This is one of the most exciting parts of starting a greenhouse hobby. Make sure you choose plants you will enjoy growing, and ones you can also challenge yourself with.
4. Hose and Watering Can. Plants cannot grow without water. You can get a cheap one or an expensive one, it’s up to you, just make sure you get one that can keep your new plants healthy and happy!
5. Disinfectant. Your greenhouse plants are susceptible to germs and diseases just like people. A basic disinfectant, either an organic variety or regular bleach, is necessary to keep your greenhouse healthy.
Other Greenhouse Equipment Essentials
Not all greenhouse gardeners agree on what is “essential” in the greenhouse, nor do they agree on what is appropriate. Some of these items are:
1. Gardening gloves
2. Fungicides & Pesticides
3. Benches and/or seats
4. Shovels, rakes, and towels
5. Supports for your plants like tomato cages, twine, and trellises
6. Chemical fertilizers
7. Compost bin
Putting together your own list of essential greenhouse equipment is part of the fun of beginning a new greenhouse gardening hobby.